Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Small Joys

This past week here in Cape Town has been all about the small joys. Those amazing ordinary moments throughout the day that make me smile and remind me of the goodness in my life.  Moments like talking about poverty in Philippi with Nina (long-term German volunteer at iThemba Labantu). Or joking with the many South Africans at iThemba Labantu- I am finally starting to feel like I belong there. Tuesday was filled with many of these moments. Because Nina and the other German volunteers were all busy, I spent a lot of time with Natasha (South African volunteer/ program facilitator). She and I picked up the kids from school in a giant bus and brought them back to iThemba Labantu for after-school programming. It was amazing to see more of the area around iThemba Labantu and to see some of the schools where the kids go. We drove through Mitchell’s Plain talking about music, art, dance, and high school. Natasha is such a vibrant and joyous woman and I cannot help but smile when I am around her. Later that day I was to begin tutoring a new kid, but I did not know who it was or what he/she looked like. Constantine (another long-term German volunteer) ran all over iThemba Labantu helping me figure it out. This particular instance was a nice reminder that no matter how independent I will ever be (traveling in a foreign country, spending two days a week at an organization at which I knew no one, advocating for myself at a foreign university, etc.) I will always need the help of others.
            And the small joys continued at incredible speed. Once I started noticing them, they multiplied in occurrence (or I was just more aware of them). Wednesday my last class was cancelled, so of course we went straight to the beach! Walking down the street I ran into the girl I had sat next to on the 17 hour plane ride from Washington D.C. to Johannesburg. I had emailed Sarah earlier that week just to say hello and see how her time has been in South Africa, so I was surprised and excited to see her right in front of me. This is Sarah’s fourth time in South Africa. She has been coming for three months at a time to volunteer here, goes home for a month to renew her visa, and then comes straight back. On the plane she drew me maps and wrote down all the great things to do in Cape Town and the surrounding area. It was so great to see her and talk to her for a bit. Seeing Sarah was awesome, too bad the beach weather was not as great. Just as Kari (one of my housemates from Minnesota) and I got to the beach it started raining. We relocated to a nearby coffee shop for some cappuccino while we watched our friends surf for the rest of the afternoon. Despite the rain, it could not have been a better afternoon. Kari and I talked about her time in France, Tanzania, Uganda, and Kenya and her schooling at Montessori. We shared coffee and conversation (two of my favorites) and reveled at how lucky we could be to be in that coffee shop in South Africa. To top it off, our friends had one of the best days surfing and could not contain their excitement telling us all about it. Their elation continued onto the very crowded train where I met a little mischievous boy. He was holding a rubber band and was not afraid to use it or stretch it over his face. After giving up my seat for another woman, I stood next to the little boy who started to play “peek-a-boo” tickle me around and in between the many bodies shoved around us. To him, I was just another person to play with on a boring train ride- it didn’t matter that I was white, American, a university student, living in Observatory, or even that I was totally covered in sand. He just wanted someone to play with. By the time we made it to my stop he had grabbed hold of my hand so tightly that I thought I would not make it off the train. I gave him one last tickle and scrunched-up-funny-face under which he released his death grip and I slipped away smiling and laughing. This week was filled with so many smalls joys that I know will continue to define my time here if only I am present and aware enough to realize them.

While weekdays here are filled with service and school, weekends are jam-packed with bucket list activities and exploration. Friday night Hannah (friend from SLU) joined some South African friends we had met at church to a LifeTeen conference in Constantia. It was the opening night of the conference and consisted of praise and worship and, of course, meeting new friends. LifeTeen is a youth ministry organization that has spread from the United States all over the world. Ever since arriving in South Africa, I have struggled to find a faith community here. Participating in religious, spiritual, and faith-based groups is a large part of my life back at SLU, so I have been missing that aspect of my routine. However, Friday night was great. It was so fun spending time with my new friends, both teenagers and adult leaders, singing songs I knew, and worshipping with a larger community. The coolest part of the night was listening to a talk given by a guy named Steve. Steve is from Missouri! After the night had ended, Hannah and I went to talk to him and found out he lives right by SLU and knows some of our friends. Seeing and talking to him was such a cool way to tie home and South Africa together. You really never know whom you are going to meet here.
            Saturday was adventure day! A small group of us woke up relatively early Saturday morning and caught the 8:47 train to Muizenberg. From there we took a cab to Silvermine Nature Reserve to go hiking and swimming. Even though it was a hassle to get there, we enjoyed a beautiful day hiking through rocks, woods, and plenty of sunshine.
Silvermine Nature Reserve

Halfway to our destination
         The trail we chose to hike is called Elephant's Eye. This hike is a moderate hike that ends in a cave overlooking False Bay. The cave is large and cool inside, so we stopped and rested there for awhile.
View of Elephant's Eye from the trail- cave (dark spot on the mountain) was our destination
      After hiking, we ended at a dam in the reserve for some swimming to cool off. It was a great afternoon with great people. Every weekend it amazes me what we can accomplish in one day. The group who went hiking usually wakes up before everyone else and heads out early to whatever adventure we have planned for that day.
Rock climbing!

Duke, me, Dylan, and Sarah (photo cred to Hannah)
     However, Saturday did not end with just our daylong hike. That night Hannah, Maira (my roommate), and I ventured to the observatory just a couple of blocks away for a presentation on multi-wavelength imaging and star gazing. NERD ALERT. Yes, it was nerdy. Yes, it was awesome. We got to view Jupiter from the largest optical telescope in Cape Town and also look at Orion's Nebula. Hannah and I were even matching, but we agreed that our matching outfits would not be the nerdiest thing we did or saw that night.
Hannah and I must have been on the same multi-wavelength haha...astronomy joke. No we did not plan this.
    It is random, weird, and even nerdy events like this that make my time here in South Africa even better. Hanging out with the locals and learning at the time same produces some interesting conversations and relationships.

   Even as I sit here at honeybun drinking my fabulous cappuccino I am amazed by the immense blessing it is to be here. Every day brings new joys and challenges. And I cannot wait for the rest.

Cheers!
(that's the favored "goodbye" or "hello" or "yay"...it can be used in a multitude of contexts really)




No comments:

Post a Comment