Sunday, June 1, 2014

The Final Countdown

Well, here we are folks. We're into the single-digit countdown of my saga. Today, Sunday June 1st, marks nine days until I will be boarding a plane homeward bound. Before I get too nostalgic I just want to say thank you to all of you for sharing this journey with me. It has been an amazing one and it's not over yet!

Since my last blog post much has been happening in the K-house. First of all, I completed my two finals at UWC (yay!) and this morning I turned in a comparative analysis of HIV/AIDS in the United States and South Africa for SLU's honor program. So, that just leaves two presentation projects for the Marquette program to be completed this upcoming week. And with that comes a close to my academic semester abroad. However, I have found that even though I appreciate all I have learned while in the classroom here, I have learned so much more outside of the classroom setting.

Last weekend my friend from high school visited me in Cape Town. Jess and I went to DSHA together  and she is interning in Johannesburg for part of the summer. She came to visit for a long weekend and explore Cape Town. Since it's winter here now the weather did not cooperate too well. It was rainy, cold, and cloudy most of the weekend. I took her to Old Biscuit Mill (the weekend market I'm obsessed with), downtown to Green Market Square for some market shopping, hiking on Lion's Head, and down to Camp's Bay for the sunset one night. It was so fun being able to reconnect with her, especially in such an awesome place. Before I knew it I was wishing her luck with the rest of her internship and whatever else the summer brings for her. As we were sharing parting cappuccinos at Honeybun, I realized I do not know when I'll see Jess next, but that I was thankful for being able to share time with her in Cape Town.
Jess and I on the way up Lion's Head

In my continuing quest to try all of Cape Town's best coffee shops Duke and I visited another cafe this past week. Hard Pressed cafe is a coffee shop and vinyl record store combination that serves wacky drinks like the Amy (in an ode to Amy Winehouse of course). The Amy includes ice cream, white chocolate chips, peanut butter, and espresso blended to the perfect deliciousness consistency. After trying a couple of their drinks we left over-caffeinated and ready to take on the rest of the day. With rain on the horizon for most of the upcoming week, I'm planning on making the rounds to all my favorite coffee spots for one last cup of jo. 

Yesterday was one of my housemates 21st birthday. Julia decided she wanted to have a birthday party for herself and invite all the kids from her service site. Julia and Molly (another girl from the K-house) have worked at Mikhanyseli (a primary school) for the semester teaching 6th and 7th graders as well as participating in their after school program. Friday night I made chocolate, vanilla, and vanilla chocolate chip cupcakes for the kids to decorate during the party. Saturday there were about 40 6th and 7th graders invading our house. We had pizza, played soccer at the park, face painted, decorated cupcakes, swung at pinatas, and danced. It was so fun and incredibly tiring. All my housemates and I also were able to meet our pen pals from Mikanyseli that we have been exchanging letters with throughout the semester. It added an extra joy to the day.
Julia, Molly, and all the kids
This Saturday morning before the birthday party was sadly my last pilgrimage to Old Biscuit Mill. It was an incredible time rounding out my food experience in the best way possible. Because we went a little later than usual, I was not tempted to get breakfast. Instead, I went for the best stacked sandwich I have ever eaten paired with a refreshing cloudy cider and topped off with a giant chocolate chip cookie.
Kari and I with our amazing sandwiches and cider

Check out this cookie!
I could probably write a whole blog post in itself about all the reasons I love Old Biscuit Mill, but I will just conclude this small portion by saying that Saturday morning OBM trips have been one of my favorite things in Cape Town. New food, new friends, and so much fun!
OBM partners in crime! I think Duke loves OBM just as much as me!
Nine days left. Nine days to go. Nine opportunities to take in as much of this place as I can. Here's to the adventures I've had and to the few left still to be had. This week I have to say goodbye to the kiddos at Loyiso. I'm excited to spend two more days with them, but sad my time there is coming to an end. Next weekend we're headed to Cape Point and Cape of Good Hope. I'm at the end of my conditioner, butter, and food left in the cabinets- now it's just time to make the most of what I have, including my days left here. 

2 comments:

  1. Cute pic of you with the cooookie!
    Out of butter?! What would Paula Deen say?!?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cami, in your comment about learning outside the classroom, you reminded me of a comment made to Mev in her interview with Brazilian philosopher and theologian, Ivone Gebara: “Truly I’ve learned more theology in poor neighborhoods than in classrooms. At times I wonder if the questions of traditional theology have any meaning for the poor. And 'the poor” here means eighty percent of the population!"

    ReplyDelete