Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Midsemester Part 1

Oh hello! I am back safe and sound from my 10-day roadtrip through South Africa. Let me tell you- it was one hell of an adventure! Because so much happened over the trip and there so many pictures/stories to share I have decided to break the trip into a couple of posts. So, here is the first installment:

This is a loose outline of the route we took on our midsemester roadtrip. We ended up back in Johannesburg and then flew back to Cape Town. (for some reason B-Knysna did not show up)



Day 1: Off to Knysna
   Friday March 14th we awoke at 5am to embark on the roadtrip of a lifetime. 16 of my housemates and I loaded our luggage onto a massive truck/bus/van thing and piled inside. Our driver and guide for our trip was Jimmy from Johannesburg. He does tours throughout Africa with the travel company that planned our trip and had the pleasure of corralling all of us crazy college kids throughout break. Most of us fell back asleep immediatly after climbing onto the large vehicle, but it was not long before we caught up with the sunrise as we drove out of Cape Town. I am sure I will be repeating this statement a lot throughout my retelling of midsemester, but the drive was incredible. I was so fortunate to be able to see so much of the country and the beauty it has to share. Throughout most of our trip we would drive for a good portion of each day and stay in hostels at night. However, some places we were able to spend two nights. Our first stop was Knysna, a city along the Garden Route. Knysna had some fun shops and restaurants, but the activity we all were most excited for was BUNGEE JUMPING!
   Originally, bungee jumping had been planned for the second day of our trip, but due to various circumstances we were informed on our drive there that we would be jumping that first day of the trip. This had both positives and negatives to it, but ended up being the best outcome because everyone was so anxious for it. We drove about an hour outside of Knysna to the bridge pictured below. Let's just get this clear- I have NEVER had the urge to go bungee jumping before. Ever. I had always said I would go skydiving before bungee jumping, and I would never think of doing that either. But there I was, studying abroad in South Africa, with 16 of some of the greatest people I know, suddenly full of excitement instead of fear. I think I was able to do it because I had decided the moment I was accepted to the program that I would do it. I knew I would get this once chance to do this wild and crazy thing and wanted to take full advantage of it. So, 14 of the 17 of us suited up, walked across a terrifying catwalk underneath the bridge off of which we would jump, danced like crazy, and then it was 5-4-3-2-1-BUNGEE!  
Bridge I bungee jumped off. We jumped from the top of the curved part. Tallest commercial bungee off of a bridge in the world!
Getting strapped in and ready to go.
Right about now I am realizing that I will be jumping into open space only attached by my ankles...

Yahoo! Kowabunga!
Yes, it was terrifying. Yes, it was totally worth it. However, I'm not sure I would ever need to do it again...maybe if the time was right. As you can see from the picture, the surroundings were absolutely beautiful. The scenery gave me something to look at as I hung, spinning around waiting to be pulled back up. Bungee jumping was an interesting experience- freefalling felt like nothing I've ever experienced, and I was surprised that I was unable to inhale the first couple of seconds of the fall. Therefore, I couldn't scream until I was already bouncing and spinning at the end of the jump. Why would we ever do something like this? Well as we say, T.I.A- This Is Africa. And when in Africa...we go bungee jumping.
   After that adrenaline packed afternoon, we returned to Knsyna for dinner and drinks by the fire. It was a great start to midsemester and started us off in the most perfect way. The next morning, and the rest of the mornings during break were early starts. We usually were on the road by 6 or 7am to make some headway and arrive at our next destination as early as possible. 

Day 2: On to East London
   Most of Saturday was spend driving to East London. Halfway through the day we stopped in Port Elizabeth for lunch on the beach.
Duke and me on the beach in Port Elizabeth


 After lunch on the beach we cruised toward East London, but a breakdown delayed our arrival at Bucaneers (our next hostel). When we finally did arrive, we knew it was a beautiful place so close to the beach set into the side of a hill. We were sad that we weren't able to see it in the light, but we still had a great time. We ate a traditional Xhosa meal including samp&beans, ox tail, vegetable stew, bread, and pudding for dessert. Then, we all dressed up a bit and headed to the bar at the hostel for some dancing and drinks. It was a fun time had by all full of laughs, crazy moves, and new friends. The next morning two of my friends and I woke up early for a walk along the beach. It was so peaceful and untouched. We were the only ones on the beach that morning. Sharing the quiet and stillness with them was refreshing. Even though we woke up relatively early each morning during break, I made it a habit to get up a little bit before most people. I reveled in the extra time to sit, think, take in my surroundings, and just enjoy the quiet.
Early morning on the beach in East London
We enjoyed a light breakfast of fruit, bread, and jam before loading back onto the bus. This time we were rolling toward the remote area of Coffee Bay. Coffee Bay was an exceptional part of break, espeically since we were able to stay there for two nights. However, I am going to cover our time there in my next post. I'll end with some reflections on the drive to Coffee Bay.
   Driving to Coffee Bay was amazing. There was so much green (my favorite color) and interesting landscape. Coffee Bay is pretty remote, and to get there we drove through village after village and hill after hill full of rondevals (round homes with thatched roofs). I could not help but smile and wave at the local children watching us drive by. Throughout break I realized that I would feel such a great sense of release as we drove away from a larger city toward a more rural or remote area. I became intensely aware of my preference for open fields, mountains, small communities, green everything, and less traveled roads over the crowded, loud, and busy cities. It is something I intend to pay attention to in the future because of the relaxation and joy I gain from these places and landscapes.
On the way to Coffee Bay

 Coffee Bay delivered in so many ways, and I cannot wait to recount the tales of our days there. But for now, I will leave you with a short excerpt from my notebook I wrote while riding in the car:
         Once we got out of the city I couldn't keep from staring out the window at the faded outline of the mountains and the sprawling expanse of open space. And that's when I realized the honesty and truth in the statement, 'I am not made for the city.' My heart and soul yearn for open fields, winding roads, and greens of every shade. Give me trees full of thousands of leaves. And acres of grass- each sqaure inch full of more life than I can comprehend. Let me view and commit to memory the the beauty humankind had no part in creating. Because then, and only then, can my eyes bear witness to the constant life, death, and rebirth of nature. 
Another landscape on the way to Coffee Bay

Next time: Coffee Bay and Durban then Joburg and Kruger!



1 comment: